How does it differ from other literacy software?
We span the chasm between grown-ups and kids based on the personal qualities of the program's developer and history of the company.
The Web App satisfies the needs of both children and their adult helpers.
For adults, the A.W.A.R.E. program becomes a personal "Techi Tutor" that teaches students fundamental concepts of decoding and encoding written English with minimal adult help.
For students, software is designed to draw young learners irresistibly to learning and it effectively deals with the 7 "kisses of death" that Carolyn Miller identified at the 1998 Game Developers Conference.
#1 Death kiss -Kids love anything sweet-
- Fact: Kids have a rebellious tinge and love off-the wall humour, the unexpected and absurd. A.W.A.R.E characters and stories include quirks and foibles; the plots involve the students and are filled with obstacles, challenges and intriguing activities.
#2 Death kiss -Give 'Em what's good for them-
- Fact: that's too medicinal. The Techi-Tutor presents the concepts to be learned from the children's perspective. It draws on their imagination, and success is achieved by children referring to their own behaviour and knowledge base. Rewards capitalize on the children's personal involvement and creativity.
#3 Death kiss -You got to amuse them-
- Fact: Children are hungry for content. The A.W.A.R.E Web App delivers solid information and ties it to the real world. It imbues abstract letters with very human characteristics and meaningful behaviours.
Death Kiss #4 -Always play it safe-
- Fact: Children like to explore and while the program sends the learners on a quest, Techi Tutor offers them choices and options to enter or leave throughout the program.
Death Kiss #5 -Kids are created equal-
- Fact: There is a difference between toddlers and teens but they all love stories. While the A.W.A.R.E. stories that carry the educational messages are designed with young children in mind, their humour and action appeal to more mature learners as well.
Death Kiss #6 -Explain everything-
- Fact: Kids are very intuitive and don't want to be talked down to. Techi Tutor presents the bulk of the complex learning material and navigational tools through animation, plot and rhymes. Learners are drawn into the story and begin to relate to the computer and take cues from the characters on screen.
Death Kiss #7 -Be sure your characters are wholesome-
- Fact: Wholesome all too often equals dull. The Web App characters are multi-dimensional and take on different personalities to reflect their sounds, functions and failings.
The A.W.A.R.E. software is unique in offering a completely new process of literacy teaching in a format designed to draw upon the learners' way of processing information.
It is educationally sound, the information is consistent, and the delivery will appeal not only to the young learners but to adults who will recognize the nursery rhymes and songs of their childhood that form an integral part of the presentation.